As you go about your business

Give an ear to the pleas of the Albinos in Tanzania

Wavy Words Search Engine

Custom Search

Sunday, November 30, 2008

8 Ways To Happiness - Part 4

Beliefs

Understanding & Changing Your Beliefs

This is perhaps one of the most important pages on the Self Creation site. If you act on the information on this page, I guarantee your life will never be the same. A bold statement, but true.

Beliefs are any ideas you think are true about yourself, others, and life. Clarity about what you believe, who you are, what you want, and why you want it can be like a beacon on a clear night, guiding you to the fulfillment of your desires. Unfortunately, most of us aren't aware of our beliefs, many of which we acquired as children. You can live your whole life unaware of how you're beliefs are effecting your feelings, thoughts and actions.

Some beliefs are counter-productive to what you say you want. Wouldn't it be nice to identify those beliefs? Examine them for validity? There are so many self-defeating beliefs but here are just a few I've identified in myself and others. Do you believe any of the following?

Self Defeating Beliefs

* If I'm happy now, I won't be motivated to change anything.
* I can't change. This is just the way I am.
* My feelings are natural reactions, not something I can control.
* If I control my feelings, I'll be a robot.
* I have to have [love, sex, or money] in order to be happy.
* If I don't feel guilty, I’ll continue to do "bad" things.
* You have to do some things you don't want to do in this life.
* No pain, no gain.
* If I was happy all the time, I’d be a blithering idiot.
* People who are optimistic aren't realistic.
* You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
* If happiness was my priority, I'd be inconsiderate of others.
* It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really good post! Gosh some of those limiting beliefs are so hard to identify as limiting beliefs. They are so common place as "common sense". The nest step is writing new positive supporting beliefs :-)